2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup water
¾ cups organic shortening
1 cup fresh basil leaves
¼ cup olive oil, give or take
1 garlic clove
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 heirloom tomatoes, sliced thin
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl sift together flour and salt. Remove 1/4 cup flour to a small bowl and add the water, making a paste.
- With a pastry cutter, cut the shortening into the flour in the large bowl. Add the paste and mix well.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust to fit an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Prick the pie crust all over with a fork or use pie weights so that the crust doesn't bubble up while cooking.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden, removing the pie weights after 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- In a food processor, puree the basil, olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the mascarpone cheese with the lemon juice. Once the pie crust has cooled, spread the cheese on the bottom.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top of the cheese, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle the basil oil on top. Cut into wedges and serve.