Chinese Cabbage, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Source: Gourmet, December 2006
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (1-pound) Napa cabbage
- 1 (6- to 8-ounce) firm-ripe avocado
- 3/4 pound tomatoes, chopped
Whisk together lemon zest, juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl until smooth, then add oil in a stream, whisking until emulsified.
Tear enough cabbage leaves from ribs into bite-size pieces to measure 7 cups, reserving thick ribs and remaining leaves for another use.
Quarter avocado lengthwise, then pit and peel. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Toss cabbage leaves, avocado, and tomatoes in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat.