Source: Bon Appetit, July 2014
- 1 cup bulgur (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1″-thick wedges, then very thinly sliced crosswise (about 4 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia), finely chopped
- 4 cups assorted small tomatoes, halved, quartered if large
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
Place bulgur in a large bowl and add 1 1/2 cups boiling water. Let soak until softened and water is absorbed, 40-45 minutes.
Toss bulgur, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, mint, oil, lemon juice, and Aleppo pepper in a large bowl to combine; season with salt.
Do Ahead: Tabbouleh (without oil and lemon juice) can be made 4 hours ahead. Toss with oil and lemon juice just before serving.