Source: MJ and Hungryman, February 11, 2015
- 1 (14oz.) extra-firm tofu, drained, sliced lengthwise ¾ inches thick
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or canola oil, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ pounds shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup cooked farro
- sriracha (optional)
- Prepare tofu: Slice the tofu, then lay the slices out flat on a cutting board with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Press until tofu is dry to touch.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of coconut oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. place tofu in skillet and season with salt. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding the skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 8-10 minutes. Remove to a plate and cook remaining tofu. Wipe out pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste, soy sauce, and ¼ cup water. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon coconut oil in the same skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add brussels sprouts and miso mixture and toss to combine. Cover skillet and cook until brussels sprouts are bright green, about 2 minutes. Add carrots, tofu and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce coats the vegetables. Add sesame oil and toss to combine. season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with farro and sriracha if desired.