Sweet Potato Avocado Burgers
Source: Clean Green Eats, August 2015
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegan)
- 1/4 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups organic rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts, crushed
- 3/4 cup flaxseed meal
- For cooking:
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- For serving:
- Whole-wheat or gluten-free buns
- 2 ripe avocados, thinly sliced (2 to 3 slices per burger)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (per burger; omit for vegan)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 lacinato kale leaves per burger
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil mayonnaise (omit for vegan)
- Wash and pat your sweet potatoes dry. Cut the sweet potatoes into small 1-inch cubes. Roast the sweet potato cubes with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place onto a sheet tray and roast at 375° F for approximately 40 minutes, remove from the oven, and cool slightly.
- In a food processor, add the roasted/cooked sweet potato, tamari soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; pulse to combine. Add the onion and chickpeas and pulse until fully combined, periodically stopping the food processor and using a spatula or wooden spoon to move the mixture around. Mix just until the chickpeas and onion are fully incorporated; look for the consistency of mashed potatoes. Do not overmix.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, chia seeds, and flaxseed meal.
- Remove the sweet potato mixture from the food processor and fold into the dry ingredients. Measure out 1/3 cup of the mixture at a time and, using your hands, form into round burger-shaped patties.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the patties and sauté for about 4 minutes per side, or until they are warmed through and golden brown on each side.
- To serve, place the patties on toasted buns, if desired, and add your choice of toppings. I love avocado, kale, and Worcestershire sauce.