Eggplant and Roasted Tomato Farro Salad
Source: Love and Lemons
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3-4 small eggplant
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ¾ cup uncooked farro
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Big handful of arugula
- Big handful of torn basil
- Generous splashes of sherry vinegar
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cherry tomatoes on the baking sheet and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes until they’re shriveled up and golden brown around the edges – about 30-35 minutes, depending on the size of your tomatoes.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and reduce heat to a high simmer. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Chop the eggplant into 1-inch pieces and place on a paper towel with a few pinches of salt. Let it sit for about 20 minutes. As water releases from the eggplant flesh, pat it dry.
- In a large skillet, heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat, add the eggplant and cook until it’s tender and golden brown on each side, about 10-12 minutes. Add the chickpeas and garlic halfway through, along with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, cooked eggplant and chickpea mixture, pine nuts, arugula and basil to the large bowl with the farro. Add a generous splash of sherry vinegar and toss. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (and more sherry vinegar if necessary), to taste.