Source: Love and Lemons
- 12 oz. brussels sprouts (about 2 cups shredded)
- 1 apple, very thinly sliced
- 2 kohlrabi, stems removed, sliced into matchsticks
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or currants
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- a good drizzle of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
- squeeze of ½ a lemon
- salt & pepper
- very optional: grated pecorino or crumbled feta cheese
- Clean brussels sprouts by wiping them with a damp towel, then removing the top leaves that are dirty. You want your brussels sprouts to be very dry so the salad doesn’t become too watery.
- Get out your mandoline if you have one. Slice the brussels sprouts into thin shreds, then slice the apples. Peel any rough parts off of the kohlrabi skin. Thinly slice the kohlrabi bulb into planks, then use a knife to slice the planks into little matchsticks.
- Place cut veggies into a bowl and add cranberries, pine nuts, and a few pinches of salt. Toss well, then add olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon and toss again. Taste and adjust seasonings. Let the salad sit for about 10 minutes at room temp, then serve. (Add some cheese if you like)
If you can’t find kohlrabi, you can leave it out or sub in another crunchy vegetable (cabbage, carrots, etc).